Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Good News

I was skyping with my mother yesterday and couldn't wait to tell her the good news.


Mom! I have great news! (enthusiastic)

You're pregnant! (equally enthusiastic)

No! (nonplussed) We are getting a puppy! (regaining enthusiasm)

Mariana. That is a lot of responsibility. (disapproving)


Is it me? Am I seriously underestimating the commitment being a dog owner takes? Because although I plan to be fully dedicated to the cause, at least I dont have to birth the damn thing. Which is an all important deciding factor when choosing between the two. One will give you hemorrhoids, the other will arrive pre-birthed at your home. With fur!

I cant understand the reasoning that would cause my family to be thrilled at the prospect of my procreating, but worried as to whether or not I can handle the responsibility of dog ownership. Because anyone who sees human children as less maintenance than dog children should ask my mom what I was like as a toddler (read: redheaded nightmare demon child who gave her arthritis and her undying love for white bread).

Either way, Im getting a dog. And a pack of condoms.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dog:loves you unconditionally
Child:becomes teenager who despises your existence
No competition there

(I'm excited for you, and very jealous!)

Candace said...

What kind!? (puppy, not child)

the scrap said...

a german shepherd! i will post pics as soon as she gets here.

Lizard In The Woods said...

had to be a german shepard right? :-)
i also feel like i am destined to have this exact conversation with my mom in the future.